Travel, exploration & adventure

7-Night Volunteering Cruise To Dominican Republic

gary-williams
gary-williamsHost

Expired
Host
I'd like to see some sort of screening process before strangers are allowed into the homes of children - this is disgusting exploitation of vulnerable people. If you want to make a difference, give your money to people who know the culture and community. If you want to go on a holiday, go on a holiday. But don't kid yourself into thinking that you're making a difference.
2 y
Host
Not keen on the 'drop by ' approach to volunteer work. It seems, at best, self rewarding and patronizing. Not sure I see the current model as effective either, but cheap cruise fares for token 'good deeds' seems tacky to me.
2 y
Host
I would like to be sure the native peoples aren't being exploited. There would have to be some official aid organization in charge certifying that these are true volunteer activities vs activities the cruiseline has whipped up. How are we to know the activties arent just paid townsppl? Nothing against volunteering just need to be sure these are legit needs/opportunities. As a teacher, it is a bit concerning thinking that total strangers are just dumped off to teach someone. There is hardly anything that can be accomplished in 90 mins xc meeting someone and perhaps a bit of convo practice. If this were to a Red Cross/MSB area etc., maybe but not sure about these.
2 y
Host
I would like to be sure the native peoples aren't being exploited. There would have to be some official aid organization in charge certifying that these are true volunteer activities vs activities the cruiseline has whipped up. How are we to know the activties arent just paid townsppl? Nothing against volunteering just need to be sure these are legit needs/opportunities. As a teacher, it is a bit concerning thinking that total strangers are just dumped off to teach someone. There is hardly anything that can be accomplished in 90 mins xc meeting someone and perhaps a bit of convo practice. If this were to a Red Cross/MSB area etc., maybe but not sure about these.
Well these people are going on a cruise anyway, and they're going to go ashore and do something anyway, why not go plant some trees instead of doing something like ziplining or dunebuggy riding? Agreed they can't do much good teaching English or some of the other things.
2 y
Host
hey're gentrifying out neighborhoods, so why wouldn't they propagate some smug, self-serving travel?
2 y
Host
I tend to disagree. There is a lot you can achieve in 90 minutes. I have been to remote areas an had conversation with the locals that has the potential to change their perception on life. Also in the same areas I witnessed the"good work" charity organisations carry out. The people are worse of, and they spend unnecessarily. Eg, giving children plastic backpacks where previously they would have had woven baskets from natural materials, concrete houses, same deal. Also what I noticed is that one village"benefits" while the neighbours do not.
2 y
Host
Voluntourism, a longtime travel industry niche, is rising in popularity as a way for travelers to give back and make a difference in the communities they visit.

2 y
Host
Charter companies have also been active in bringing on-shore fundraising and volunteer work to cruises. Norwegian Cruise Line, for example, hosted a seven-night charter by Sweet, a lesbian travel company that wove in volunteer work throughout the trip.
2 y
Host
Two things changed my mind, and led me to book a cabin on a seven-nighter to the Dominican Republic on Fathom, one of 10 Carnival brands. The first was the price: $249 plus taxes and fees. Even more shocking was that, after I had booked, the price dropped to $199 for an interior cabin. That breaks down to less than $30 per night. (While on board, at least one passenger inquired about moving onto the ship semi-permanently.

2 y
Host
The Dominican Republic offers travelers all sorts of opportunities to discover and connect. The ship docks at Puerto Plata’s Amber Cove, where you’ll have four days to spend doing what you love most, from immersing yourself in the local culture to participating in impact activities to exploring the landscape and relaxing on the ship.
2 y
Host
I would do this in a heart beat. I am sure they are not asking you to do too much.
2 y
Host
I’ve had the good fortune to sail on small ships, large ships, mega ships and river cruise longships. I enjoy the floating hotel aspect of cruising, as I like seeing new places and only having to unpack my suitcase once. When I had the opportunity to join Fathom on a cruise to Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic I jumped at the chance. If, like me, you are interested in responsible tourism, combined with adventure activities, this is the cruise for you.

2 y
Host
I would do anything to get to DR right now. I can serve drinks, sweep the deck, make beds anything. This sounds like a perfect thing for me.
2 y