Business, career & technology

5 Reasons to quit your job and 5 reasons not to?

luis-harris
luis-harrisHost

Expired
Host
What are the top 5 reasons to keep you in a job? What are the top 5 Reasons for you to quit your job?
2 y
Host
Five reasons to stay: rent, bills, food,shopping addiction and gas,
Five to quit: I hate it, i can marry rich, win lotto, discover oil in my yard or decide to be homeless
2 y
Host
ever since I quite my job 5 years ago my quality of life got better. I am free, I get to experience different things, I'm monetarily poor but experience rich, as long as I have food, water, shelter and love I have everything I need.
2 y
Host
I love my job. I really can't complain. I think family would be my motivation to quit. Once I have children my outlook may change.
2 y
Host
Thanks for saying what lots of people don’t. Also? Traveling like this is EXHAUSTING. Everyone thinks it’s a cakewalk but there are some days I miss the routine of the 9-5… We love our journey but we can’t do this forever.

2 y
Host
I’m a scientist at heart, so the way I test my theories/ideas is by putting them in practice. If they don’t work (“oh… the day-to-day of this job isn’t nearly as fulfilling as I’d imagined it to be”) then I revise my ideas and try a different “experiment.” It’s sad to hear about so many travelers stuck in the party scene or in a holding pattern; like you said, it doesn’t solve the root problems.
2 y
Host
Ideally if your unhappy that should be the only reason to walk away from a job. Facing destitution if no other job is lined up would the the primary reason not to.
2 y
Host
There are benefits to being promoted within a company instead of hopping around from company to company.
Lots of companies reward loyalty and longevity with additional benefits and perks. If there is the possibility that you can move up within your own company to a more desirable position, it could be better to make a plan to do that then jumping to a new company — where you won’t have any salary history, seniority, stock options, etc
2 y
Host
A lot of people say they’d like to drop everything and travel the world or work abroad, but when it comes down to it they just really don’t want to. Many travel bloggers say it is fear that is holding them back but I’d say in most cases they are wrong. To completely leave a life behind, to abandon relationships, careers and friendships isn’t a desirable thing to do. It seems most people would prefer to keep that life and travel in short bursts. Who is anyone to say that is wrong.
2 y
Host
While staring at the dull and dreary walls of your office, you may have indulged this common little fantasy: During a particularly draining meeting, you rise to your feet, say “screw this,” and waltz out of the room, free from your ever-mind-numbing day job. It could be that simple; you merely quit your job.

2 y