Personal Development​​

5 Expert Lessons You Won’t Learn From Reading

Drop file here to send
Expired
There are some lessons in life and in business that you don't learn just by reading about it.

https://expertenough.com/3046/5-expert-lessons-you-wont-learn-from-reading
This discussion is set to be extendable. After it expires, the content will remain, but all guests will be removed. After that if any guests decide to join it, more days will be added to the discussion
lincoln-ward
lincoln-ward followed this discussion
Host
Reading is great, it's like a shortcut to build your skills although there are some things in business and life you simply can’t learn by reading and these are the following:
1. How To Sell
2. How To Quit Your Job
3. How To Write
4. How To Say “No”
5. How To Pick Yourself Back Up
5 mths
Host
Do you agree that you don't learn these from a book and is best experienced? What have you learned from these things in life?
5 mths
carly.dodds
carly.dodds followed this discussion
Host
I would say that 'selling' can be perfected in the field but you learn the basics and tips from books. From there, you have to find your own style to be able to sell and you can only do this by actually selling.
5 mths
Host
How to say No is really hard for the people where I live, and maybe a lot of Asian countries. However, I always tell my team that you are doing the other person a favor by telling the truth, i.e. saying no when you can't accommodate the request or won't be able to give it your best.
5 mths
Host
This is true. Most you learn on the job or through a mentor.
5 mths
Host
Reading and applying them are two different things. You get to learn when you experience these things yourself.
5 mths
Host
No amount of romance novels or relationship/dating manuals can explain what it’s like to experience love. When you’re a kid, you think falling in love is everything, and losing that love can feel suffocating. As you get older, you realize how much heartbreak you face in life and explaining those lessons to a young idealist is impossible.
5 mths
Host
Experience is always the best teacher. There's no point in reading and reading unless you apply them in your daily life. You'll know what works for you and what doesn't.
5 mths
Host
You cannot influence the world by trying to be like it.
5 mths
Host
Wisdom comes from life experience, not textbooks.
5 mths
Host
Don't make excuses or complain; it keeps you from accessing your true potential.
5 mths
10 more people followed this discussion
Host
In business, especially, nothing teaches you the value of your word and the responsibility it carries like letting someone down. It’s the reason why young entrepreneurs tend to be so much more reliable than someone who has lazily made their way through a formal education system.
5 mths
Host
When you’re working a job, when you’re a kid, when you’re young in the world, you expect everyone to cater to you. You want others to be patient with you. You want them to understand you, to give you what you need to succeed. You look to the external to give you the reassurance you seek internally.
5 mths
Host
You won’t learn the impact you have as a business owner until you have to let someone go. Especially in entrepreneurship, hiring and firing is reduced to a mentality of shifting around puzzle pieces until you find the right combination for a successful model.
5 mths
Host
In order to make any real progress or improvement, in any department, you have to first understand (yourself) what the root issue is. Sure, you can add people into the equation that can help or provide guidance, but it’s your responsibility to take the time to get in the weeds and understand what needs fixing.
5 mths