Health, Wellbeing & Fitness​​

10 weird ways the sun affects your body

sheenah.swann
sheenah.swannHost

Expired
People take being out in the sun for granted. Knowing the pros and cons of being out in the sun will help us take precaution and enjoy the benefits of sunlight.

https://www.rd.com/health/wellness/sun-affects-your-body/
This discussion is set to be extendable. After it expires, the content will remain, but all guests will be removed. After that if any guests decide to join it, more days will be added to the discussion
sheenah.swann
sheenah.swann followed this discussion
Host
The sun affects us in many ways. Here are the pros and cons of having sun exposure. Pros:
- A better night's sleep
- A sunnier mood
- A boost in vitamin D levels … maybe
- Improved ways of dealing with acne
- A longer lifespan.

Cons:
- Red, blotchy skin.
- Strained eyesight (or worse)
- A sudden (and severe) rash
- Older-looking skin
- Weird brown spots—that have nothing to do with age
Edited
7 mths
Host
What do you do to protect yourself from the sun? Are you worried of getting too much sunlight?
7 mths
marissa.herd
marissa.herd followed this discussion
Host
An obvious but very important way to limit your exposure to UV light is to avoid being outdoors in direct sunlight too long. This is particularly important between the hours of 10 am and 4 pm, when UV light is strongest.
7 mths
Host
Long-sleeved shirts, long pants, or long skirts cover the most skin and are the most protective. Dark colors generally provide more protection than light colors. A tightly woven fabric protects better than loosely woven clothing. Dry fabric is generally more protective than wet fabric.
7 mths
Host
I hate going out during noon when the sun is at it's peak but it's lunch time and I hate packing my food. I think businesses should rethink about the time and adjust accordingly for everyone's safety.
7 mths
Host
Yeah, sun exposure could cause weird brown spots called freckles. And it is irreversible. I know that because I have that.
7 mths
Host
Found this video on the net about sun exposure. Might come in handy.
7 mths
Host
Use sunscreen. A sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15 blocks 93 percent of UV rays. You want to block both UVA and UVB rays to guard against skin cancer. Be sure to follow application directions on the bottle.
6 mths
Host
I put myself on house arrest. Lol. Aside from going to the beach occasionally, I only go out past 5 pm. The sunlight is really too much now.
6 mths
Host
A longer life span but ugly skin... do I really want that trade-off? Hmmm... I don't know. lol.
6 mths
Host
We need at least 15 minutes of daily sun on unprotected face, hands and/or forearms from September to April to get enough vitamin D. After that, it’s important to cover up and protect under the sun.
6 mths
Host
On #2 point, my friend actually gets bad headaches when she doesn't wear sunglasses outside during the day. It is just too bright for her.
6 mths
10 more people followed this discussion
Host
Stay in the shade. If you go into the sun, the best protection is to wear loose clothing with long sleeves and a wide-brimmed hat.
6 mths
Host
The best protection from sunlight is provided by clothes made of tightly woven fabrics. Sunglasses with UV protection shield your eyes against the harmful effects of sunlight.
6 mths
Host
People often use less sunscreen than is needed to provide good protection, and do not reapply the sunscreen frequently enough, reducing the protection factor from that indicated on the packaging. Do not extend your time in the sun because you feel protected by the sunscreen, as this offsets any protection that has been gained against skin cancer.
6 mths