Parenting & Childcare

10 Sleep Tips for Baby's first 6 months

benedict-hoyt
benedict-hoytHost

Expired
By host - benedict-hoyt
The first six months of a baby's life can be incredibly overwhelming, especially in the sleep department. Some have babies with reflux or colic, while others have amazing little sleepers but don't know it because another mom told them that their baby slept through the night at 2 months old.

Here are some of my top tips for mamas in those early stages.
1. Realize that you know your baby best.
2. Don’t worry about “do’s” and “don’ts”.
3. Remember there are no negative ways to go to sleep—breastfeeding to sleep, using a pacifier, co-sleeping, etc.
4. Know it’s okay if they wake up frequently through the night.
5. Keep your baby close when you can.
6. Avoid overstimulation.
7. Take stock of their sleep environment.
8. Try a motion nap.
9. Celebrate the small successes.
10. Take care of yourself.
This discussion is set to be extendable. After it expires, the content will remain, but all guests will be removed. After that if any guests decide to join it, more days will be added to the discussion
benedict-hoyt
benedict-hoyt followed this discussion
vishal.dhabe
vishal.dhabe followed this discussion
Host
I have read in an article that if you let ur baby cry and not attend to him for like more than 10mins, and he just cry it out. he will have"trust" issues when he grows up. makes sense in reference to the first stage of the psychosocial development milestone, trust vs mistrust.
2 mths
Host
Super helpful! Amazing tips!
2 mths
10 more people followed this discussion
محمد.ابراهيمابو.شهدqotada.qwasmeh
محمد.ابراهيم, ابو.شهد, qotada.qwasmeh and 7 other people started following this discussion
Host
"Over-dedicated" moms have to understand that sleep is not a luxury, it is a must for mom and baby and you have to do whatever you can to be able to get quality rest for both.
2 mths
10 more people followed this discussion
Host
Letting your child cry for long periods of time is so damaging to them. I am a Ph.D student in child development. Infants don’t understand why their cues to their caregiver no longer work and they begin to stress out. When left unattended they can have toxic stress syndrome. Babies cry for a reason so to just let them cry is essentially ignoring their needs and can not only be damaging to them developmentally, but also affects the bond with the caregiver.
1 mth
Host
I coslept & cuddled him back to sleep every sleep cycle. He now sleeps in his own room & we are up to 3 4 hour stretches at night which is amazing to where he was. He is just 6months old. Babies will settle when they are developmentally ready. They don’t need to be trained. Scheduling is key, ensuring they are fed loads during the day, lots of activity, regular naps & the sleep will fall into place. Put ur baby on an age appropriate routine & then when they are ready they will start to link sleep cycles with ur support. Hold ur baby as much as u can, u can’t spoil a baby. The first year is the hardest & then after that they settle. My daughter was also a horrendous sleeper & from 14 months she slept through the night, fell asleep on her own & ‘self soothes’. We rocked her to sleep, held her for long periods of time & coslept. When she was ready she just started going down by herself with very little fuss. Be patient & don’t accept the propaganda & the hype around sleep. It’s all marketing so u buy more books & programs. Stay strong! Quite often sleep trained babies regress & u have to do the whole process again. Also they are trained to sleep in a cot, my kids consistently sleep on the go which is amazing, especially when u have too kids. Don’t leave ur baby to cry, it’s cruel, unnatural & unnecessary.
1 mth
Host
Starting this tonight with my baby. Getting very anxious but wish us luck!
1 mth
More than 50 people have joined this discussion.
Host
So helpful, baby is sleeping through the night by the second day!
1 mth
Host
Thank you so much for sharing! You have definitely helped my family out. However, now I am curious about the day time naps.
1 mth
Host
I know that all the mamas here care very much about raising well rounded and well rooted children. That's the goal! Sleep training is a personal decision and certainly isn't evil nor the answer to a happy life. You are not a bad mama if you choose to sleep train or not sleep train. Mamas, we can share our experiences on this without getting down on other mamas can't we? You are not going to win a medal on being the best at"one upping" one another. Let's build one another up...after all, isn't being a hardworking caring sacrificial parent hard enough.
1 mth
Host
After all this my baby did sleep but then he woke up in 2 hrs.
1 mth
Host
I’m so tired, I don’t even know what I’m doing anymore. And I’m a single parent too. I have a baby who wants to be breastfed every 10 minutes and even my midwife was surprised of how much weight he has put on already. I am still in pain from giving birth and always suffer from brain fog. Hope it all gets easier with time. I still love him though ❤
1 mth
More than 100 people have joined this discussion.