Belief, religion & spirituality

1 John Study

phillip-ayotte
phillip-ayotteHost

Expired
Host
Hi Phillip, I just found this Gathering. Have you been going through 1 John recently? Or are you starting from the beginning? I would like-mind you but I don't see you listed in the people who have joined this topic...even though you created it? :)
2 y
Host
Hey Sarah, I'm still trying to figure out how this website works. And yes I am going through 1 John, not because I want to, but because I believe it is a study that I desperately need right now. I am starting from the beginning and I would love to hear what you and others have to say on this topic.
2 y
Host
Hey Sarah, I'm still trying to figure out how this website works. And yes I am going through 1 John, not because I want to, but because I believe it is a study that I desperately need right now. I am starting from the beginning and I would love to hear what you and others have to say on this topic.
For some reason I can't accept or see your request, though I have a notification that it's there.... Maybe it will work tomorrow. 1 John... This past week I've actually been thinking about some of the concepts that are there, mainly from being convicted about the"loving the brethren" part. Often I like to think that I love my brothers and sisters in Christ but it doesn't show itself much in action or thoughts. Often I just seem to 'observe' their lives in a critical manner instead of taking that as an opportunity to prod them to faith and good works. You probably remember that statement that dad has repeated so many times:"If you see a problem, odds are you are a part of the solution" or something along those lines. Often I just want to see and criticize the problem and not be a part of the solution....that's so hard! :)

Anyway, I was also pondering the part where...I"m sorry,, I just looked it up, the part I have been thinking of is not in 1 John, it is in John 13:35 where Christ says,"By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." I've been really convicted by that: do I really love my brothers and sisters in Christ? I mean, that's how outsiders will know that I am a disciple of Christ, not simply by my stated beliefs, but by my active, selfless love for those whom God has placed in my spiritual family.

It just seems that the older I get, the more I see of God's Word that I need to implement....but I guess that's a good thing and a sign of God's sanctification :)
2 y
Host
Hi Phulup. :)
(I can't accept your like-minded request either for some reason.)
Thinking on the beginning of chapter 1..."what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we have looked at and touched with our hands, concerning the Word of Life"... It matters what the apostles experienced because they were the ones God designated to recount truths about Christ. Because the apostles heard and saw and touched, it would be foolish to believe on what *we* have heard and seen and touched (our experience). What is true about Christ is enough to base our souls on.
Either of you have info on why John mentions the senses? Hearing, seeing, touch?
2 y
Host
Okay, so I'll just let this topic run out and I'll start a new one at the end of next week. I'm going to read through 1 John a couple times each day this week and then next week I'll start a topic and we'll go through a chapter at a time.
2 y